View Single Post
Just thinking out loud

We bought her MDX used with one key and fob. When some dick stole that key from our front porch, we had to call a locksmith. He came out, unlocked the car, and cut a new key, however, the new key would only work in the door, the ignition had been rekeyed at some point. If her battery had gone dead, we would have had to call a locksmith to get in anyway, so we had the cylinder changed back to factory matching.

Well, when he went to program the new key, something went wrong rendering the car useless. It would crank, fire momentarily, and die. When he programmed it, he fried some electrical components. I found the issue being a main fuse and had him come back out to complete the program. He did, but the ignition acted as the key was always in the II position, still does. Now it has to go to the dealer to be scanned to see if it can be reprogramed (CAN2), if not, replace fuse box #3, then reprogram.

I never paid the locksmith, he never asked for payment. I know the guy, so I won't sue.

I bought new blanks with fob for about $40ea, dealer wanted $120ea. I hope you have better luck than I did.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)