View Single Post
Schleprock

Quote:
Originally posted by KTL
And just to be a pest, the wedge pin locknut doesn't necessarily have to be replaced. Deformed thread all-metal locknuts can be reused. They're more reuseable/retain their locking feature better than nylocks do without a doubt. This locknut is kinda critical so replacement is not a bad idea. $5 is kinda steep though! I think it's only a class 8.8 nut? Torque spec. is only 25Nm/18ft lb here isn't it? Can't remember, but will look it up and post if no one else corrects me.
Spec book/Porche microfiche says this $5 nut is a "universal lock nut" property class 8. Replacement is not required. If necessary just replace it with a equivalent deformed thread/smushed top locknut from the local parts store and not worry about it. Can certainly reuse the old nut (but not the wedge bolt) as long as it's still got substantial resistance when tightening it. Torque spec. is 22Nm/16 ft lb.

Leave those clutch hydraulics for another day. Laying under the dash for the master and then jagging with the slave atop the trans. is not much fun. I say save that job for a time when you can do them all by themselves. Nothing hard about the job. Just kinda awkward working locations.

Last edited by KTL; 01-03-2004 at 02:16 AM..
Old 01-03-2004, 02:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)