View Single Post
Registered

Garage
You get it. As soon as I saw this set for sale, I had to drive right back up to MA to pick them up. It was well worth the trip.

The extended wheel hub isn't for everyone, but if it keeps you ergonomic, it's a must. To get a good position, I put the seat all the way back, adjust the upright to comfortable, and while keeping shoulders back/touching the seat, extend arms to touch wrists to the steering wheel. Adjust seat closer as necessary. I've been in cars with extended hubs, and haven't been able to get full extension without a gangsta-lean. But everyone is built differently. Long femurs and humerus bones, maybe. Humerae?

Speaking of seating positions, and trips to Massachusetts, we're overdue for an update... but first, there was a big loose end to deal with in the engine bay before proceeding with interior shenanigans.

Since the car had scarcely been started since parking it at the end of June, the already weak battery decided to let go completely. No problem, right? I'd checked the battery tray upon purchase, and it felt solid enough with a few pokes, but I never peeled back the layers. As you may have already guessed, I was in for a nasty surprise. Removing the four rubber pads reveled a well-rusted area around, and including the drain.

This will never do.

I scraped, sanded, and brushed away the surface rust, and removed factory body sealant that had separated due to time and moisture.

Thankfully, the rust did not make it all the way through - no holes. The drain, seams, and strut corner area were sealed with POR15 (which is nasty stuff, use it sparingly, and with a mask!), then I skimmed with metal-reinforced Bondo, primed with Rustoleum red rust-inhibiting primer, then a quick coat of Rustoleum satin black.

I may spray it body color at some point, but for now, it's good. Rust is insidious - this issue may present again over time - but I'm confident that I've caught the worst of it, and drastically slowed things down. Should drain a little better now, too.

With a new T6 battery installed, she started right up. Narsty job done!
2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 09-18-2020, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)