Thread: Van life?
View Single Post
Feelin' Solexy

I have a 4wd (with front and rear lockers) 86 vw syncro westfalia and an 89 vw tristar doka (van with a truck bed) and daily drive both... Love them both and have done just about every job that you could do with these vehicles from panel replacement and paint to engine swaps. Have done a ton of climbing, fishing, hunting and more family adventures than I can count using the westfalia... I have an ultra-efficient refrigerator and a solar/house battery setup that lets me keep my beer cold indefinitely, and a propane heater (propex) that keeps it toasty inside even when it is freezing outside, it's the bee's knees. FWIW I swapped out the engine in the westy for a ford zetec for reliability/performance/parts availability at any FLAPS, I can cruise up any mountain pass I want.

If you want something modern I would look at the the ford transit or the sprinter, both are very popular for combo daily and adventures vehicle. Take a long hard look at the dimensions.of the sprinter though... They come in a variety of lengths and heights but all of them are large.

My rigs:

1938 Buick Special model 41, 1963 Solex 2200, 1973 Vespa Primavera 125, 1974 Vespa Rally 200, 1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Westfalia, 1989 VW Doka Tristar, 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless, 2008 Mini Cooper S, 2010 Mazda CX-9 - in the stable
1989 Porsche 944, 1973 VW Beetle - gone but not forgotten

Last edited by Tishabet; 09-26-2020 at 01:08 PM..
Old 09-26-2020, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)