View Single Post

Garage
I for one have never claimed 20-30hp from a chip alone. On the late 87-89 Carreras, 10-12 is a realistic number. Although I've always stated that in combination with a freer flowing exhaust, polished intake manifolds, and a optimized computer chip, a 20+ hp gain is a realistic and conservative estimate of top end hp gains. Optimizing your system, as Brian stated is really key. I have some before and after dyno charts up done on the same Dynojet 248 posted of TomTurtle's 88 Club Sport online. With a cat before a chip, after chipping, and after a premuffler with a chip. These were done voluntarily (and very generously) by Tom at his expense and not me. Although I think that if I were to do the dyno runs, the same pundits would claim I rigged the data in my favor. So take it FWIW and draw your own conclusions. Mike Wong of San Marino did a lot of controlled testing with his new G-tech Pro comparing the stock 88 chip to my revised chip. He did 7-8 runs with each, air temp within 3 degrees, and with a full gas tank each time. He used a rolling start in second gear until the rev limiter kicked in, and eliminated the highest and lowest values in each group. With the stock chip the G-tech posted an average of 174.75 hp, with the revised chip posting 188.25. And his car is completely stock with a cat recently tuned by Tyson Schmidt at TRE. If you want to ask him about his tests, you can email him at redtarga88@hotmail.com . One can argue till you're blue about dyno variations, but how do you fool a G-tech?

Matthew Duran (Adman) also did some acceleration testing with his G-tech on his 87 Carrera - also full stock except with a single out Dansk sport muffler. Matthew did 0-60 testing with the G-tech and averaged 6.2 seconds with the stock chip, and 5.8 seconds with the revised chip. Matthew is a seasoned drag racer - so take his results FWIW.

Top end hp at 6000 is great for dyno bragging rights, but that is not where the majority of drivers spend most of their time. It is mostly at part throttle from 1000-4500 rpm where most of us are at and there is a lot to be optimized here. It's not done by tinkering with the fuel, but heavily revising the part throttle ignition timing maps. We've been able to effectively increase power here by a great percentage, while reducing overall fuel consumption by 10-13%. Because it runs using less fuel to make the same power, guys are coming in with their dyno smog tests coming out cleaner than their previous tests with the stock chip. It makes a huge difference in throttle response and part throttle torque, that this is what most owners mean when they say there is a great increase in low/mid range torque and response. Many say the power seems to 'get on the cam' between 1500-2000 rpm, vs the stock chip at 4000. It doesn't show on a dyno chart, because dynos only measure wot runs.

So you want to buy my chip, or don't want to, buy someone elses, or roll your own? Personally I don't really care as this is not my bread and butter. Heck, I've even posted how to hack the Motronic code a couple of years ago, and Marc Skarshinski and I developed some freeware so guys can hack their own. I put up my site online because after two years, I was getting so much email each day from word of mouth, that over half my day was spent answering them, and taking away time from my real businesses. I figured a faq would answer most of the questions, but it exploded into a whole website.

So do chips work. The old Bruce Anderson has said yes repeatedly in many issues of Excellence and in his book. There is some old data that Bruce Anderson did years ago comparing different chips. Are they spectacular? Well take a look at them and make your own decision. Here are his acceleration tests, and chip dyno tests:

Old 01-05-2004, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)