View Single Post

I have vacationed in Maui and would have loved to have had my car there.

I recently shipped a boat to Sweden and was in line behind four or five folks shipping cars offshore.

Find a shipping company that ships RORO (roll on, roll off). You'll have to coordinate with a freight forwarder who will process all of the paperwork for about $100. Then they will connect you with a shipping company. You drive to the forwarder and pick up the papers. Then you drive to the port and drop off the car. It sits in a parking lot with dozens of other cars and gets put on the next boat out. In my case it was a weekly boat so it sat for a few days.

Generally they all run with early morning to late afternoon hours. I found that it was typically 7AM to 3PM.

If you work with a freight forwarder you will not need an advance appointment and can drive up with short notice (as long as it's Mon thru Fri). If you handle the paperwork yourself then you'll need a specific appointment with the carrier.

I don't know the conditions once the car is inside the ship or what sort of insurance you would need for a vehicle like yours.

Once you get to the port you'll be amazed. Everything is huge. It's like a scene out of Star Wars.

I took a vacation day from work and including the 6 hour round trip drive to the port I left in the early AM and did not get home until late. A lot of waiting once at the port.

Good luck.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)