View Single Post
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsom View Post
Hi all -- as the title says, I'm totally new to Porsche ownership and this forum. Excited to have found and bought a fully documented, one-owner, (relatively) low mileage '87 924S which I just could not refuse. Always wanted an air cooled 911 (but that ship has sailed) so I'm very happy to at least have this beauty in my garage. Excited also to tap into this community of knowledge and support.

I'm sure this is covered somewhere here, but having looked around, can't seem to find it easily -- I'm wondering if there is a primer for 924S/944 ownership that highlights:

A) easy to accomplish fixes and upgrades which the community knows are either weak spots or simple fixes/maintenance to make the car perform better and last longer.

B) no brainer performance upgrades that are easily accomplished without breaking the bank (intake? exhaust? strut braces? etc. etc.).

C) Longer term performance upgrades that are aspirational as things need to get done to the car.

The first order of business is timing belts/water pump as there is coolant seeping from the front cover. Since the car was stored for a while anyway, I think that makes the most sense. A whine out of the transmission suggests some bearings will need replacement down the road. But I can likely enjoy the car for at least a season or two before that's a concern, I think. (I will replace fluids in the transaxle and maybe that will help?)

Otherwise, looking forward to being the long term steward and caretaker for what has been (in the short drives I have taken) a seemingly superb car.

Grateful in advance for all your advice and support!
Welcome to Pelican Datsom,there here a lot of knowledge about 924-944-968 Porsches on this forum as you will find out later.First like you said is timming-balance shafts belts & fixing that leak very wise thinking.As you will find out I,m the pics guys on this forum ....Pics are worth a thousand words that's my moto.After taking care of the above I would flush all liquid including motor oil anti-freeze & tranny -diff,use a flushing solution for your rad & expension tank,at the same time make sure your rad cap hold the proper pressure,if you replace the water pump & if your car has the old style one...see pic... you should seriously think about the Turbo Style water pump ...see pics...You would have to modify the rear timing belt shroud to accept the Turbo one but not that hard of a DIY. picsAlluminium rad flush.Most guys here use Red Line for their Tranny Diff.
i
Old 10-13-2020, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)