View Single Post
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM View Post
At local cars & coffee this weekend. Guy wearing vet hat and pins asks who owns this Porsche? Starts asking all kinds of engine build technical questions. Then says he has a real love hate feeling about these cars. Asks me if I know why? Then gets weird/angry and says the guy who designed it was hitlers boy. He designed the tiger tank and a GREAT BUG. Then walks off mumbling some bs. This ever happen to any of you? Then he gets in his vintage Datsun Z and drives off. Btw anyone see the hypocrisy? Lol
I find this not at all unusual. My uncle, who passed away in 2019 at the age of 99, said something similar to me the first time I showed up at his house in Los Alamos, New Mexico with my brand new 1982 BMW 320i. He told me to get it off his property and park on the street, the only real problem being he lived on a 10 acre lot and the street was a small country road.

Some background provides insight to his comment. He was recruited into the Manhattan Project in 1943 as a chemist to help purify uranium and palladium for use in the atomic bombs. He helped build the bomb for the Trinity blast as well as the Fat Man and Little Boy dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. His brother, my other uncle, was killed in action in France in August 1944 by the Germans. My surviving uncle wanted to finish the bomb soon enough to nuke Hitler as repayment for his brother's death. And oddly enough, even though he was involved in the death of so many Japanese, he had a Toyota sitting in the driveway that I could not park my BMW in.

Over time, as I showed up in one Porsche or another, he felt a little differently as he felt that Ferdinand Porsche was forced to make tanks based on how the Allies treated him after the war.

Now, about those vette guys...
2007 911 Turbo (water and air pumper)
2012 Panamera 4S (for the wife, I swear)
Old 10-27-2020, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)