View Single Post

Garage
I'm with addictionMS on this. I think that Porsche is still deeply involved with racing and provides more privateer support then a lot of companies which may only sell parts.

I get a sense that most people here don't remember that Porsche spent most of it's racing history NOT at the "Top Level of Motorsports". They built their reputation as the underdog -- the under 2 liter car that was beating the 3 liter cars - or at least most of them. Look at the story of the 356 through RS60's, not to mention the 904, 906 and 908's. The Carerra RSR was a classic underdog that would routinely take on and beat much more powerful machines. Then they took the Turbo Cararra to Le Mans and were beating most of the prototypes, back before the prototypes were being handicapped for the sake of close racing. Nowadays the GT3RS wins Daytona OVERALL, beating Corvettes, Vipers and a host of other "faster" cars.

In fact you don't even need two hands to count the number of "Top Level" race cars that Porsche has raced. Let's see -- 917, 935 (After the introduction of the Prototypes, the 935 WAS an underdog), 936, 956/962/Dauer and don't forget the Le Mans Spyder and both F1 engine projects.

Personally, my love of Porsches doesn't rest on these "Top Level" cars, but on the successful underdog record of the 911/935 series and the "small bore" cars such as the 906, 910 and the 908.

The "big cars" such as the 917 and the 956/962's are really cool, but my personal contact with them will always be limited. I can and do on the other hand own a 911 with a 2 liter engine.

"It's a poor craftsman who blames their tools" -- Unknown
"Any suspension -- no matter how poorly designed -- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving." -- Colin Chapman
Old 01-07-2004, 03:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)