View Single Post
Friend of Warren

Quote:
Originally posted by HarryD
I would follow their advce and not worry so much. Before I did my top end, my oil consumption was 2-300 miles/quart. On discussion with my wrench, he told me that as long as I kept the temperatures sane and kept the level up, I would be ok.
I think unless your mechanic did a compression and leakdown test that this is very poor advice based on my own experiences. Like I said previously my '86 3.2 was running great and had no indications that there was a problem except for excessive oil consumption with no smoking. I ran it hard and never thought twice about jumping into it and driving a 1000 miles and then running it hard again. It was only a leakdown test that indicated I might have some serious problems. And the only reason I even did the leakdown was because I had just purchased the tester for future use and wanted to try it out. Look at that picture of my #5 exhaust valve posted earlier in this thread. How much longer do you think I could have kept driving before a piece of that valve broke off? And because I didn't address the valve guide/oil consumption problem earlier I ended up having to rebuild all 6 heads! I'm not saying the sky is falling, all I am saying is before relying on anecdotal advice, do some relatively cheap testing!
Old 01-07-2004, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)