View Single Post

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt V
I think unless your mechanic did a compression and leakdown test that this is very poor advice based on my own experiences. Like I said previously my '86 3.2 was running great and had no indications that there was a problem except for excessive oil consumption with no smoking. I ran it hard and never thought twice about jumping into it and driving a 1000 miles and then running it hard again. It was only a leakdown test that indicated I might have some serious problems. And the only reason I even did the leakdown was because I had just purchased the tester for future use and wanted to try it out. Look at that picture of my #5 exhaust valve posted earlier in this thread. How much longer do you think I could have kept driving before a piece of that valve broke off? And because I didn't address the valve guide/oil consumption problem earlier I ended up having to rebuild all 6 heads! I'm not saying the sky is falling, all I am saying is before relying on anecdotal advice, do some relatively cheap testing!
Kurt,

This is a very good point you make. I guess I did not tell the "whole story". Like you noted, I think we each need to do some testing and decide what our risk tolerance is to decide how to proceed.

I did have compression and leak down data, that was in the range of showing some concerns but nothing too excessive. Also, we saw copious smoke on decelleration only, pointed clearly to worn guides. When I first got the car, oil consumption was at 3-400 miles/quart. Just before the top end, it had fallen to 2-300 miles/quart.

On tear down, the stems were worn but the valves themselves were ok. If I had rebuilt sooner, I may have saved the cost of the valves but then again, who knows!
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
2009 MB C300
Old 01-07-2004, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)