View Single Post
Registered

Garage
Back to the Porsche, right? My sincerest apologies to anyone offended. I do realize that this isn't a Mazda forum, but I also love oddball cars, and it's my thread, so I can't help but to digress. Maybe it gets me off the hook for the lack of substantive progress this month???

So I've taken my time/dragged my feet on the dash project, but not without incremental improvements. I've re-wrapped wires, cleaned connectors, and installed new bulbs. I sourced nicer gauges, switches, and plastic bits to replace worn pieces. Everything is still out of the car, however, since I can never leave well enough alone. When I pulled the Blaupunkt (not an OEM unit but a ~2010 model), I found that the car had been wired for an amp at some point, but with junk wire. Rather than pulling it out and calling it a day, I seized the opportunity to meddle, and ordered up a new 4 gauge kit. This will run power to a small JL amp, which I'd planned to use in the Volvo. I haven't decided whether to power the front stage, or go with a small 8" sub, but either way, wiring it in now is the right move. A new Pioneer BT head-unit and fresh rear speakers are also going in, so we may as well put some power to the system!

This is what's staring me down when I open the door:

Hopefully I'll have more interior/dash/stereo updates in the next couple of weeks, as parts arrive. In the meantime, the rear valance is also waiting patiently for its turn to go on. But, problematically, Portia's OE muffler looks all of its 36 years, and would have been an eyesore once tucked into the newly-painted aerodynamics. I debated having a new tip welded on, or just replacing the axle-back with that Bosal I came across, but a low-mile exhaust off an early '85 came up for sale, so I jumped on it.

Wire brush, hi-temp rattle can, et voila:

The original muffler may have looked tired, but it put up quite a fight. I had to get creative in elevating the car, since my jack couldn't manage enough lift to get the sawz-all under the car at the right angle. Not the brightest idea I've ever had, but it worked to get the car higher, despite much puckering. Gotta love these 6-ton stands, though, as they had stability and height to spare.

New hardware all around (M8x40mm bolts). Now the junction, middle, and rear mounts are 13mm all the way back, rather than 3 different sizes.

All tidy, and ready for the valance.

2005 BMW 330xi
2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Old 10-31-2020, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)