View Single Post

First Engine Drop: Almost Done

With the help of Pelican and Bentley I did my first pcar engine drop last week, 86 Targa 3.2. I used a homemade engine stand with castor wheels, and dropped the transaxle with the engine. The number 1 reason was to replace the guide tube. I found the guide was only slightly worn, BUT the plastic bushings for the TO fork were missing, and the fork was rubbing on the lip of the TO bearing, making shifts difficult.

The first three days were spend cleaning....what a mess! I've done engine transplants in old BMWs that were not half as nasty as this engine.

OK, now to the point. The plugs were in good shape, so there is no excessive oil burning. In addition to fixing the clutch, I have adjusted the valves, replaced the fuel filter, new plugs, new bolts for the CV joints, new intake gaskets and phenolic blocks, and new rear shocks while the getting was good. I took off the tinware, cleaned, painted and replaced. The motor mounts and tranny mounts were new 6 months ago. What else should I do before I reinstall?

TIA

MFB
86 3.2 with 113K, all srock
Old 01-07-2004, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)