View Single Post

I think Chuck summarized it pretty well.

However, I didn't realize Boge struts were painted yellow. On early cars, Boge strut housings were all black.

Pelican and Tweeks are both correct in what they were talking about; one was describing the strut insert or shock housing while the other described the strut housing.

Rear:
The shock is exposed; the brand and part number should be stamped on the housing.

In Front:
Shock insert is inside the McPherson strut.

If the strut housing is factory-painted red, the insert inside should be a Koni (red or yellow).

If the strut housing is factory-painted green, the insert inside should be a Bilstein of some type.

If the strut housing is factory-painted black, the insert inside could be Bilstein, Koni, Boge or any number of aftermarket brands. However, Koni Sports (yellow) are adjusted with a plastic knob as shown by Mike's photo. He also says his Koni reds (front) use a screwdriver slot to externally adjust. I haven't seen this (what year 911?). I know that early 911 Koni reds were adjusted by collapsing the strut to engage an internal "foot" at which point one rotates the foot to adjust (front and rear).

Sorry if I'm being redundant.

Sherwood
http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars
Old 01-07-2004, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)