Thread: 73 RS Carrera
View Single Post

Indeed, you can buy a clone, a real RS or build yourself one. It all depends on how well stuffed your wallet is and what your interest is. If you enjoy working on these cars, snatch a solid running base and work from there.

I was fortunate to buy a CA car on the east coast for little money (in Porsche money). The car appeared very solid though the suspension pan was weak. Last winter I cut out all the rust and installed new sheet metal from Restoration Design. I must have spent a good 150 hours on this job alone, but in the process I also detailed the trunk area. I did all the prep and finishing work personally. I only paid a welder to come to my house and weld the parts in under my supervision.

Along the way in the restoration process I decided to go with the RS image, as I was already planning to install a ducktail. That led to SC flares in the rear, 16" wheels, Recaro seats, Cibie Rally Lights (see picture), complete paint removal of exterior of car, and now the 2.2T engine will make room for a 2.7L engine that I am building. This is a labor of love which can not be experienced by buying a turn key car. Every step along the way is a milestone. The workmanship is of very high quality and I am very proud of this project. I know the car will turn out sublime. As for value, who cares. I am in it for a fair sum. Should I count my hours of labor put into the car it would tally well over $15K, excluding the purchase amount. I calculate that for around $14K I will be able to complete my ground up reproduction RS with a fresh Hi-Po 2.7L engine and with top notch body work, including German Glasurit Paint. A lot of work, and some money, and most of all an understanding wife.

$15K for a decent car is not all that bad. Be wary though of quick fixer upper cars with some "bling-bling" parts on them. I wouldn't sell my car for $25K at this stage as I know that I would not find one like it again at this price.

Mike
Old 01-07-2004, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)