View Single Post

Garage
"Pitch and Catch" sounds altogether too drastic to me. Sure you can "Pitch and Catch", but that's not the fast way. The fast way is to modulate the throttle to get the car to travel where you want to go. You don't want to loose traction at either end, but rather stay in the zone where one end or the other is on the verge of losing traction, but not quite there. Once you lose traction at one end or the other, you're going to be in catch-up mode until that end recovers traction -- and while you're in catch-up mode someone who hasn't lost traction will be driving away.

One of the secrets of Senna's driving technique was that he would be constantly making attitude corrections by minute throttle changes. He'd never quite be losing traction, but never quite with full traction either. It goes back to the traction circle concept. I've tried making a graph for comparison.

The big exception to this idea that I can think of is the Handbrake-turns done by rally drivers, but Rally driving is another discussion all together.

"It's a poor craftsman who blames their tools" -- Unknown
"Any suspension -- no matter how poorly designed -- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving." -- Colin Chapman

Last edited by jluetjen; 01-08-2004 at 03:11 AM..
Old 01-08-2004, 03:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)