View Single Post

Tyson once pointed out to me that Porsche, knowing that this rear-engined car would oversteer terribly, did everything they could do to induce understeer. Factory alignment settings included, but they also physically designed suspension parts for this purpose (inducing understeer). Because so many aspects of suspension design were geared toward understeer, this is why Tyson wanted to (and did) redesign significant portions of BB2's suspension system to "dial out" these understeer characteristics. Understeer is nice for the masses, but race car drivers want neutral or a little oversteer.

I agree that autocross is the BEST place to experiment with throttle steer, braking, etc., whihc affects understeer/oversteer. At low speeds and threshold cornering, my car understeers terribly. At higher speeds and threshold cornering, my car oversteers. Tapping brakes causes improved front end traction, ending understeer briefly...long enough to hit the gas and "finish" the turn with oversteer.

These cars are a BLAST to explore. Do it. Heck, I think autocross should be mandatory for all licensed motor vehicle operators. Yes I do.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)