View Single Post
Registered

Is BAT the best way to sell this 3.2 ?

After a twelve year love affair with my 84 carrera I am looking at selling it to move up to a more modern car, something more of a daily summer car versus a weekend car as I use my 911. Probably replace it with a 997.2 S manual.

Not going to jump into a listing, probably hold off until spring as I am in no rush, want to be sure I am not making a mistake. Due to my location (PEI, Canada) and covid, I figure waiting until borders reopen from covid closure will make it a little easier anyway to attract buyers from new England or Central Canada.

It seems that BAT is the way to go these days. Is that the consensus for a private seller who is a long term owner who can provide lots of maintenance/ upgrade history. It seems alot of the cars are listed by dealers now on BAT.

Been searching Sales reports but values seem to be all over the place so I thought I would ask the the forum for opinions on my car as described below ?

I bought the car from an enthusiast in Boston at 125,000 miles after test driving and having a PPI done with good results. Car is now at 136,000 miles so only put about 1000 miles per year.
Car worked well , was rust free so after a year of enjoying and making sure everything seemed solid I decided to make it the best 84 3.2 I could figuring I would just make steady upgrades any time it needed something, I would do the right repair for a long life assuming I would have this car forever.
In 2010 I started with a meticulous glass out respray in the original zinn metalic color , replaced the bulk of the rubber/vinyl bits, headliner, headlight&diving light lens etc. Body still looks great , only a couple small paint imperfections over the last 10 years.
Later when clutch needing replacement I went with a sachs sport and refreshed the 915 gearbox with new synchros, bearing replacement with proper steel sleeve etc. Shifts great now ( for a 915) but wasnt really too bad before ( according to PPI)
Later again I installed a cat bypass and steve wong chip . Sent the dme to Steve Wong to have removeable chip socket installed had the board overhauled (resoldered) to ensure years of trouble free service.
This year - New tires (age) , Replaced driver seatbelt, and had a bad tdc sensor so Replaced it and the other speed sensor as well as head temp sensor while we were at it.
I have a long list of other minor upgrades and repairs along the way too long to list but this gives a sense of the car.

The only real mod is that I lowered the seat an inch ( 6'3" driver) which might be a bonus for many) and a non stock continental retro style stereo head unit.

Only significant item outstanding at this point is a/c. It didn't work when I bought the car and planned to refurbish it , Even started by replacing all hoses when the car was painted but found I don't really need it on PEI so I removed the compressor and didn't go any further.

If you read this far any opinions are welcome

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Last edited by Inniswhe; 11-13-2020 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: Added info
Old 11-13-2020, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)