View Single Post
Patrick

Garage
Decided to perform more surgery on the car this weekend. I've been putting up with an oil leak that's been bleeding over the power steering pump bracket and steering hoses, then drip on the cross member, then on the belly pan and finally to my oil catch trays.

I've had enough!! The only external engine assembly I haven't touched yet was the formidable oil cooler so off it came last night - This is what I found:

There were three distinct O-ring gaskets (main cooler housing O-ring was orange) and this lower one was completely disintegrated. Thankfully, I had the foresight to order a replacement last year as I knew this was going to come up at some point.

BTW: Anyone saying that these oil coolers can be removed without removing the 1/4 cylinder exhaust header is either a magician or smarted than me (I gave up after about 2 hrs of fiddling...). I also read that moving the power steering pump out of the way helps - YES IT DOES!! I think I'd rather replace a clutch then do this again. Removing those four bolts and housing sucked big time. Re-installing the bloody thing was also inspiring ("I picked a bad time to stop sniffing glue..."). Having the alignment tool slide in smoothly was a true test of patience (and yes I did have the four bolts very loose while trying to wiggle the housing around.

Sorry for the rant, but this job kicked my butt... On the plus side, everything went back together and, once filled with nice fresh oil and coolant, she sang her aria without hesitation. I'm being cautiously optimistic but the chronic oil leak may finally be addressed, let's wait and see...
Old 11-14-2020, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3403 (permalink)