View Single Post
Used User

Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
We have a couple of those Collins base. Bought them when they first came out (I used to a sucker for tools). Still not as accurate and easy as the grinder. That radical angle the jig saw has to perform in isn't not always accurate with the blade dancing all over the place. I think once you try and angle grinder method, you will never go back. We haven't installed any large stain grade crown in a few years. There's not too much call for that anymore unless its a grand old house. We worked on a few Craftsman and Spanish colonial homes around Pasadena and the foothills. We are currently in the process of bidding on a craftsman that's built in 1912. No crown but lots of finish woodwork. Its a complete gut out job.
Oh, I do use an angle sander not just for crown and coping base, I backcut and scribe other moldings with it. IN the AL house I mentioned we had a 5-stack cornice and really out of square and plumb walls joining ceilings. Ceilings dipped and waved like aroller coaster. I was taking as much as 3/4 and even an inch out of some of them so the scribe wasn't too severe. Lots o' fun. Don't put a laser level on that job!]

Down there I was the guy in the garage making sash on site. I did it on site with a router whereas here in my shot I make custom sash with a shaper. I gues I wanted to point out that having a nice selection of router bits is very handy. I think a simple kit is 50 bucks and name brand too. Those are a bargain because if you go and buy a hinge mortise bit, a couple of round overs, a bearing guided flush trim bit you're at 50 bucks right there buying any name brand bit individually.

If you have a shop like Jef has and I used to, you buy the basic router bits in 6-packs.

Just kidding, but you do end up replacing the often used bits after you can't feasibly sharpen them anymore. I don't mind having some HSS bit around that I can change the profile some. Carbide is great and you face the back of the cutting edge until it becomes a PITA, then you buy new.

BTW, if you're looking at routers make sure you can use a 1/2" collet. 1/2" bits are really the better way to go with anything but small stuff. I think Steve said freehanding a router was tricky, it shouldn't be, but with a 1/2 bit there is much les chatter to make things butter smooth.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #132 (permalink)