View Single Post
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Oh, I do use an angle sander not just for crown and coping base, I backcut and scribe other moldings with it. IN the AL house I mentioned we had a 5-stack cornice and really out of square and plumb walls joining ceilings. Ceilings dipped and waved like aroller coaster. I was taking as much as 3/4 and even an inch out of some of them so the scribe wasn't too severe. Lots o' fun. Don't put a laser level on that job!]

Down there I was the guy in the garage making sash on site. I did it on site with a router whereas here in my shot I make custom sash with a shaper. I gues I wanted to point out that having a nice selection of router bits is very handy. I think a simple kit is 50 bucks and name brand too. Those are a bargain because if you go and buy a hinge mortise bit, a couple of round overs, a bearing guided flush trim bit you're at 50 bucks right there buying any name brand bit individually.

If you have a shop like Jef has and I used to, you buy the basic router bits in 6-packs.

Just kidding, but you do end up replacing the often used bits after you can't feasibly sharpen them anymore. I don't mind having some HSS bit around that I can change the profile some. Carbide is great and you face the back of the cutting edge until it becomes a PITA, then you buy new.

BTW, if you're looking at routers make sure you can use a 1/2" collet. 1/2" bits are really the better way to go with anything but small stuff. I think Steve said freehanding a router was tricky, it shouldn't be, but with a 1/2 bit there is much les chatter to make things butter smooth.
You know, Milt, its has gotten so difficult to find people that do that kind of work, even here in a huge city like LA. I spend a lot of my college years hanging large crown, coffered ceilings in Hankcock Park. Don't remind me about out of square walls and ceilings with bellies. One of my guy and myself still hang those difficult or should I say, challenging finish carpentry. He's 33, so I hope I can pass on that knowledge. during my 20s, I can't wait to hang out with the old guys that did all the complex work both in the shop and out in the field installing. Like most, I am self taught only to take a peek at the old man when they are working to absorbed what I can.

I have an 1 1/4 shaper that has not been turned on in a long time. Not too many designers or younger contractors know us. We used to service the old timers out of my shop. Younger guys that are my age are not too interested in that type or restoration and often afraid afraid of the complex details (good, more for me). They like the typical, run of the mill type work even in these bigger homes, and call it custom. I actual like the modern, slim line type work and has been about 50% of our business. With the right designer, they actually look pretty good.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #133 (permalink)