View Single Post
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
Be back. Running out to post office before they close.
Sweet!
Quote:
You know, Milt, its has gotten so difficult to find people that do that kind of work, even here in a huge city like LA. I spend a lot of my college years hanging large crown, coffered ceilings in Hankcock Park. Don't remind me about out of square walls and ceilings with bellies. One of my guy and myself still hang those difficult or should I say, challenging finish carpentry. He's 33, so I hope I can pass on that knowledge. during my 20s, I can't wait to hang out with the old guys that did all the complex work both in the shop and out in the field installing. Like most, I am self taught only to take a peek at the old man when they are working to absorbed what I can.

I have an 1 1/4 shaper that has not been turned on in a long time. Not too many designers or younger contractors know us. We used to service the old timers out of my shop. Younger guys that are my age are not too interested in that type or restoration and often afraid afraid of the complex details (good, more for me). They like the typical, run of the mill type work even in these bigger homes, and call it custom. I actual like the modern, slim line type work and has been about 50% of our business. With the right designer, they actually look pretty good.
Yep, I think I missed my opportunity to learn from the old guys. It would have been much better than working in malls and fast food joints.
Quote:
I forgot to mention, Steve. The bench dog doesn't have to be square. Drill a 3/4" hold and use a wood dowel. I attach a small square block to the end of the dowel to keep it from falling into the hole. I am cheap.
Right, I've watched a bunch of videos and seen them in round and square. The round seems like the way to go. Good tip on the block on top so they don't fall through.

And these holdfasts have that old fashioned charm

Something like this seems like a better option.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 11-19-2020, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #135 (permalink)