View Single Post
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Down there I was the guy in the garage making sash on site. I did it on site with a router whereas here in my shot I make custom sash with a shaper. I gues I wanted to point out that having a nice selection of router bits is very handy. I think a simple kit is 50 bucks and name brand too. Those are a bargain because if you go and buy a hinge mortise bit, a couple of round overs, a bearing guided flush trim bit you're at 50 bucks right there buying any name brand bit individually.

If you have a shop like Jef has and I used to, you buy the basic router bits in 6-packs.

Just kidding, but you do end up replacing the often used bits after you can't feasibly sharpen them anymore. I don't mind having some HSS bit around that I can change the profile some. Carbide is great and you face the back of the cutting edge until it becomes a PITA, then you buy new.

BTW, if you're looking at routers make sure you can use a 1/2" collet. 1/2" bits are really the better way to go with anything but small stuff. I think Steve said freehanding a router was tricky, it shouldn't be, but with a 1/2 bit there is much les chatter to make things butter smooth.
Thanks, good info. I think most of my routing has been in oak, which I assume is probably a little tougher to hold steady than it would be in something like pine. Probably more likely is that I was just doing it wrong.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 11-19-2020, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #136 (permalink)