View Single Post
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWJ View Post
Saw stop HQ is just down the street last I checked. If they have a company store or similar give me a PM maybe we can make something happen.
At 350#, shipping would probably be insane. There are, apparently a few stores in Houston that stock/sell them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAtarga View Post
If you've got a "permanent" location for the shop - I'd say go ahead and get the contractor model saw.
Routers can be used for the dado options when needed for the most part. However, if you're into making box joints for drawers and boxes - the dado stack on the table saw would be MUCH more accurate.

Here's my Sawstop setup that replaced my Delta saw. The table structure behind it was then modified to fit the larger Sawstop footprint, so I've got a full 8' by 8' work surface including the saw table. This is the 52" version cabinet model. Dust collection and power to the saw are in a trough you see to the right of the cabinet.
That's a sweet setup! I see you've got the "T-glide" fence. Is that a good enough fence to not need an upgrade?

I did use my dado blades on my old saw quite a bit, and could see using them in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
Me, I get the cabinet saw if not, the contractor's saw at the very least. Job site saw would by my only saw that rides in back of a pick up truck to cut trims and scribe. Cast iron wings are great and solid, the stamp steels will work but feels flimsy. I can't say this enough to anyone that has limited space and needs to mover the saw around. Pay for a HTC mobile base. They are heavy dty and once locked, do not move even if you have to rip a 4x8, 3/4 plywood. Its worth the additional safety. Nothing like having a saw move on you when ripping a full sheet on the saw. Get the mobile base that accommodates a large table.

Depend on the size of the piece that has to be dado, I cut them on the saw with a dado set or use a router with home made T-guide. We don't do much dado anymore.
Mobile base, OK, good to know.

It popped into my head today or maybe yesterday, I'm not completely certain if the garage has power. I think the garage is ~150' from the house. I can't remember if it's got an automatic or manual garage door or overhead lights or anything. It's really not used as a garage. It was mostly used to store ATVs and lawn mowers. There is an oak tree that's probably 20-30' from the garage that's got a small power outlet and some lights in the tree, so maybe, or maybe not too tough to get power to the garage, but I can't be sure. It's obviously something that I'll be looking into and rectifying. It'd be a real beyotch to do all of the work on the sidewalk outside the house.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten

Last edited by masraum; 11-21-2020 at 04:22 PM..
Old 11-21-2020, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154 (permalink)