View Single Post
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
Nice!

I was watching another video of a guy talking about making a workbench. He said that he buys 2"x12"x16' boards to make workbenches because "they" use better quality boards for 16' lengths. He then rips and crosscuts them in half. I thought that was interesting. I feel like I've also seen or read something talking about S2 or S2S boards, so you get the 2 flat faces, but 2 rough edges. I'm not afraid to use a hand plane or maybe the 3 1/4" planer that Zeke posted about.

I watched this entire 9 part series. I think that's 4.5-5 hours. I don't plan to build this bench, and absolutely would not build it the way that he did (exclusively with hand tools), but I learned a ton of stuff.

One thing that I found interesting is that most of the stuff that I've watched or read about work benches as all about having the front of the bench flush (legs, apron, edge of top and the front face of the back jaw of the face clamp should all be on the same plane so that any part of the front of the bench can be used to clamp material. It makes sense to me, and I've seen how it could be useful. Also, most of what I've seen seems to like to have the face vise on the far left front end so it's out of the way (and with the front face of the rear jaw flush with the front of the table). Many designs also have the ends all flush so if you've got a tail vice, it's similar and can be used to clamp things to the end of the bench.

For his bench, the legs were set back, the front apron of the table has protruding bolt heads, the face vice is inside the legs which are not at the extreme ends so it's almost closer to offset from the center than it is to on the left end. The face vice is also out in front of the front edge of the bench.

I can understand how some folks like having a tool tray and some don't, but the other bits seem like great design plans.

Not the bench that he made in the video, but one that someone else built from the same plans.

'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 11-21-2020, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #156 (permalink)