View Single Post
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
While I admire the skill of some of these guys, what's more impressive is their desire to make endless work for themselves by doing everything by hand.

I'm waiting for one of them to plant his own tree seedlings, so that he can grow his own wood.

Eventually.
I have had extensive conversations with other craftsmen about the use of hand tools. I bet if they had a power plane or a Skill saw, nail guns back 150 years ago, all would have use them too instead of holding on to a board with their toes and hands to shave the pieces to straighten a board. My father was that way. He made all his jewelries with a bunch of hand tools he made himself. He did have a torch, polisher and a couple of drills. Most of that was forged, with a hammer and no wax castings. People paid good money for that type of work. Yep, he was stubborn to use new equip. I do see the difference on the work that some machine just can't produce unlike woodworking whereas 90% of it can be produced with power equip.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #164 (permalink)