View Single Post
Back in the saddle again

I would like to have a couple/few planes, maybe a block plane or low angle block plane. I already have a couple of planes that if I had to guess are probably #3 or #4, and then I'd like a much longer plane, like a #6. I am curious about having one of the medium planes setup as a scrub plane. I may not use them often, but I might use them from time to time, and I have enjoyed using them in the past even though they probably haven't been appropriately sharp, and I probably wasn't using them with the best technique.

I'd also eventually like to get a router plane, have a card scraper, and a brace. When I was a kid, probably somewhere between 5 and 10, I got a toolbox for Christmas one year, and in the toolbox was a brace and bit. I'm pretty sure those were gifts from my grandparents, and the brace and bit almost certainly from my grandfather. I never really did much with it, and I don't know if I still have it, but I'd like to have another even if it's a symbolic link to grandpa and the past.

I'll keep an eye out for planes at garage sales or antique shops. Who knows, maybe I'll stumble across an estate sale full of them.

I don't see myself getting a rabbet plane, shoulder plane or plow plane.

I'd like to know how to use the old tools effectively and keep them in good working shape. As I've gotten older, my interest and appreciation of the past and old ways/technology has increase exponentially.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 11-22-2020, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #167 (permalink)