View Single Post
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
Man, you shoulda said that earlier about that router plane. I woulda thrown that dang thing in the box too. I would need a larger box for sure with all the stuff in it. Let me look next time I go back after Thanksgiving. I might have bought that as far back as college when I was in my phase of doing old fashion hand work, playing artist in my old, tiny shop. Its a good one, Standley from the 50s, in pristine shape, bought from an old guy that dealt with high end, funky old hand tools that came to all the wood shops and selling them to cabinet makers . I am never going to use it (my guys wouldn't even look at it) so the thing sits somewhere collection dust. It better still be there since no one uses it, ever. I even made my the handles and knobs for a couple of my Jack Planes out of Cocobolo jsut for laughs. Silly how I thought I can make furniture for a living in this town.

BTW, Routers and dado sets are ways to to go for Dados. I have a panel router that I almost never use. The last time it was fired up, was over a year ago. Bosch or Amana bits are the go to. Don't waste your money in cheap bits. The don't last too long.

For now, no more hand tool work. I love my lil' Makita Power Plane. I also have a Rockwell Door plane (depth adjustment on the fly) bought new during those early years that are no longer made or sold. Milt knows what it is. Gave up my left ball for it because it was a toss up between that or paying Tuition. Only one of my guy is allow to use it because he will clean it and put it back exactly where it belongs, in my home, garage. Its still in great shape. Some things are just too important to me, too much sentimental value in them.

Maybe one day soon when I hit 55 in a couple of years, I will go back and play with building furniture again with spoke shaves, cabinet scrapers and such without having to deal with phone calls, designers and crazy "Woke"neighbors of clients?
Lots of good stuff! Hey, you may have missed it, I PMed you on Fri about the shipping.

Thanks again, for everything!
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 11-22-2020, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #170 (permalink)