View Single Post

I, too, have been researching what can be done to the 3.2 motor in a cost effective manner. Which lead me to Steve Wong PROM chips. His advice, and it sounds good to me, is to chip the car (about $280 from Steve), and then do things to free up the intake and exhausts. For the intake, look at the K&N cone filter, or any of the knock offs on the market (about $150).

For the exhaust, look at replacing your cat with either a bypass tube or the Euro/premuffler (Pelican has this for about $350). For less $ you can pull your cat and have it gutted to reduce back pressure. Keep in mind that you may not be able to pass emissions testing if you do any of this.

The most expensive, yet cost effective thing to do then, is to put on a high flow sport muffler. Here you are talking $600 +/-.

There are also a few things recommended that I have not been able to validate such as replacing the ignition wires with something other than OEM; installing a high voltage coil and then regapping the plugs to about 0.050 - 0.060".

If you do not need to pass a periodic emissions test, then it appears that going retro on the heat exchangers gives you a big bang for the buck. Suggestions are to retro with SSI exchangers with a decent sport exhaust for the best combo. I think that the SSI exchangers are in the $800 - 900 range (for both sides).

Just my two cents.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)