View Single Post

Yes. The tubes in the airbox were misaligned, once the rubber nubs on those were properly aligned, the intake tubes fit right in the correct orientation.

When I put the bike up for storage I removed the airbox, timing cover and front cover. These will be sent off to be vapor blasted then powder coated. The original paint was flaking off pretty bad.

I forgot to mention another one of Tom's finds, which is that the left jug was showing a 5% leakdown (acceptable) and the right was showing 19% through the intake, exhaust and rings.

This is my fault for buying the bike sight unseen, of course a leakdown is the FIRST element of a PPI.

When he went to adjust the valves, a necessary first step before carb tuning, he found that there was ZERO clearance. So it would not be a surprise to me to find that the valves on the right jug are burned. I decided to drive it until the winter layup then figure it out in spring.

It's a simple matter, since I am pulling off the exhaust for replacement anyway, to pull the head on that side and take a look. Once the head is off, the jug can come off to check the piston for wear. And once the piston is off I might as well change the rod bearings. . . WHILE I AM IN THERE. . . LOL

This is the slippery slope that we are all familiar with. After the restoration of my '66 911 I am so familiar with it that I now ski it to the bottom. . .
'66 911 #304065 Irischgruen
'81 R65
Ex-'71 911 PCA C-Stock Club Racer #806 (Sold 5/15/13)
Ex-'88 Carrera (Sold 3/29/02)
Ex-'91 Carrera 2 Cabriolet (Sold 8/20/04)
Ex-'89 944 Turbo S (Sold 8/21/20)
Old 12-23-2020, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)