View Single Post
Registered

Happy new year everyone!

It's been so long since I made an update that I had to go back through my pictures in my phone to catch up on what I've been up to...

As of the last update we were prepping the Avocado for an autocross and making a few changes to the tuning. The autocross was a blast and the small changes I made to the car were significant out on the course. It was much more confidence-inspiring.

At the end of the autocross that Sunday I had about 18 days before heading out of town for the holidays for 18 days. Realizing we were so close to the end of the year lit a fire under me to start cleaning out the garage and posting some parts for sale. Both so I could raise some funds for my other project but also to see if I could horse trade my way to a pair of 3.6 engines.

Most of that 18 day period wasn't spent on the Avocado but there were things going on behind the scenes. With my garage sale I was able to sell the Stock 3.2 that was in the Avocado the last few months (that's the fifth time I took the engine out in 2020) and purchase a 3.6 swap from Joe aka 350 SIX out of the pelican classifieds. It was coming from Tennesee though which was the complication. I hired the guy that transported my 1973 chassis for me and that meant that he needed to find some additional jobs to/from that area from Los Angeles/Orange County.

It was a lot of hurry up and wait conversations as jobs were booked and then canceled. At one point my wife and I were considering taking a detour to Nashville on our road trip back home from our holidays in Wisconsin to pick it up. That would have been a really tight fit in an Audi Q5...

Fortunately, my transporter came through and ended up driving through all sorts of weather to deliver his loads to Phoenix, Las Vegas, and finally to our house in Los Angeles. It took way longer than expected but it was great to have it in my hands.

Joe did a fantastic job packing, wrapping, and securing the load to the pallet.

This engine swap came with a fair bit of it's own story. I believe Joe got it about 4 years ago and it's been sitting ever since. It's from a 1990 964 and came with a handful of swap parts (60/2 flywheel, fuel inlet line, PMS power steering blockoff, throttle cable, oil pipe, etc), 911chips chipped ecu, 1.75" Billy Boat headers/muffler, and came with both the OG Aluminum intake setup and a later Black plastic intake manifold. The guy he bought it from had it installed and running in an SC and was pulled due to an engine fire. It barbecued the harness around the fuel return area which was one part of this I forgot I had to fix.

The PO (not Joe), rather than using the numerous available wiring harness conversions butchered the portion of the harness that goes to the DME relay and 16 pin connector. I can't really make sense of the mods they did, it doesn't seem like it would run with the way they had it setup. After waffling on what to do for power distribution, I decided to run the relays similar to how I had it setup on my standalone harness rather than fix what's already been cut up and reuse a DME relay (which I'd also have to purchase).

Prior to getting it installed into the Avocado I did some preventative maintenance. I replaced the oil return tubes with new orings, resurfaced the flywheel and installed the Sachs Power Clutch I had on the stock 3.2 (only has about 1500 miles), installed new exhaust manifold seals/rings, muffler gaskets, belts, and oxygen sensor.

Here's a portion of the barbecued harness. I didn't take any pictures of the fixes (only vids on instagram). It included replacing a few wires, depinning the connectors, and replacing with raychem heatshrink loomm. There were a few cable bundles that wouldn't fit in the size loom I had so I used PVC cover wrapped in Tesa cloth harness tape.

Trans installed and ready to go back in the car:

Where I left it last night:

Old 01-11-2021, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #268 (permalink)