View Single Post

Custom exhaust system (A love story.

Well, I get to do this ALL OVER AGAIN... because a few minutes ago the BBS decided I put too many pictures on this thread. So, here is the abreviated story:

As some of you know, I am in the process of fabing my own dual in dual out exhaust system. Everything was going fine until I realized the Dynomax muffler I bought was built to have both inlets on one side and both outlets on the other side. As my car has SSI's I obviously need one inlet on each side and one outlet on each side.

So, since I had alreay hacked the Dynomax muffler up a bit and tack welded mandrel bends I knew I couldn't return it.
This is my story:

I decided it was worth a try to rework the interior tubing in the chamber to to make this thing work.

Here is how the muffler was set up.

This is what I wanted:

SO I put on my latex gloves, grabbed my scalpel and started tearing this thing apart.
I opened up the muffler body and removed the fiberglass packing. It looked just like the picture above. Two parallel perferated pipes (with a pied piper).
I removed the pipes by grinding off the welds at the ends. I then used card board and made a template of the chamber area.
Then I transfered the template to a piece of sheetmetal that was made out of a sectioned and flattened piece of scrap tubing. I welded this piece in the center of the muffler to create two chambers.

It looked like this:

I then cut four inches out of the center of both perferated tubes and reinstalled them... like this:

I then repacked the chambers with the fiberglass and welded it back up.

The result???

.................................................. It's.............................................. .................................................. ..................................... IT'S............................................
Old 01-19-2004, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)