View Single Post

Garage
Loren:

It is apparent to me and must be obvious to all that you have superior knowledge upon this subject matter and I could never hope to rise to the level of your clear intellect regarding this topic area. As such, I make up for my juvenille understanding of engineering by applying simple common sense. As such, in light of my clear and obvious inferior insight into this subject, I am reminded of something my grandmother once told me, "son an ounce of common sense is worth more than a pound of misplaced knowledge."

As you noted, I didn't comment on "your thread" regarding "Performance Improvements for All Porsches. I will have to aplogize for this as I did not know that your particular expose on the topic was on the required reading program for this winter. (Is it to be included in the next Wayne Dempsey book?) Maybe if I just had read it I would be able to offer more thoughtfull commentary with the above. On the other hand, I do not recall your addressing my points within this discusson either. Loren, did you actually read "my reply" to this thread? Do you have explanations for what I offered? Did you actually know that Porsche had different series of DME chips in the 911 series? Did you know that they actually had one that had a more aggressive fuel mapping when compare to earlier versions? I also did not see your response to the questions regarding why the PCA would make a car increase a level for having such an, as you put it, "insignificant performance change" to its DME chip. While I did not see your responses to the other areas I addressed, it really does not matter since my "rambling" just ignored the data and instead applied what my grandma told me was important, when all else fails just use a little common sense.

However, we can agree on something, you are right in that I did not apply numbers to my argument (unless you count those little serial numbers that Porsche used on certain more aggressively fuel mapped chips) and I can admit that I perhaps did "ramble" on about why I believe that you are misguided by under utilization of your intellect over the simple application of everyday common sense. I have found in my experience that technical people often times forget this most basic of tenets.

But my recollection of how this whole Loren versus the World little spat started was that someone asked for cheap and effective mods to his 3.2 engine. Most chimed in with the holy trinity of these mods, which are the sport exhaust, pre-muff or straight pipe, and a chip. So after the exhaust is freed up a little, as is sorely needed on US 3.2's, would it really make sense that the engine could stand a more aggressively programmed fuel mapping curve?

Again, I certainly don't know what you know, but I do know that I did stay at the Holiday Inn last night. So, as I said before, why not give the chip a try with the exhaust mods on an otherwise stock engine, and viola, I submit that the combination is an excellent performance enhancement. Then, if you want to get real tricky, you can tinker with the air intake, change out the chip again for those changes and ... well you get the point.

Of course, Loren could be right and its back to the cliff I go (with the rest of the lemmings) if I am wrong about this process. In the meantime I could have possibly wasted a jaw dropping $250 in the process and Steve Wong is retiring to the luxury of perhaps Burbank on that truly massive pile of money he's made suckering everyone. And Loren, well you will still just be a smart guy who has difficulty playing well with others.

P.S. For what its worth (which maybe absolutely nothing), I have found that when attempting to argue or prove points with others that differ with you it helps to be humble, less arrogant, tactful, respectful of others opinions and insightful in your own (heck even humor works). Meanwhile, it has been apparent to me that your techniques are vastly different than mine. I certainly respect your native intelligence on these admittedly complex subject matters but your methods of persuasion leave much to be desired. I offer this not as a personal attack upon you, since I do not know you personally, but just as friendly advice from someone who just so happens to make a portion of my living educatating others upon techniques of effective persuasion. Good luck to you. And thank you for your contribution to our community.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul!

Last edited by smoak; 01-24-2004 at 11:51 AM..
Old 01-24-2004, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)