View Single Post
Schleprock

Quote:
Originally posted by krichard
I am about to order some cup2 wheels with wider rubber on them so I'm positive it will have to come up to prevent rubbing.
Be careful with those replica Cup wheels (if that is indeed what you're planning to get) as far as the front is concerned.

My car came with 993 style/Cup 2 17 in. wheels when I bought it. I believe the front size is 17x7.5 and the tire was a 215/50 Bridgestone RE-71. The 215 was too tal or wide, not sure which, and got cut to pieces by the fender lip. This happened on both the driver and passenger tires. So go with a 205/50-17 when using these wheels, or adjust your alignment settings, or shave/roll the fender lips. BTW, a 225/45 is the proper overall diam. and can be used up front. But I don't know if the wheel offset of these Cup replicas is correct to allow this wide of a tire. Might want to ask around and see what sizes people have run with this wheel. 205/50 is a safe bet though.

My previous owner's solution to the cutting problem? The shop he took it to jacked up the torsion bar adjusters in order to raise the ride height for added clearance. AND, instead of replacing the very dangerous tires? Just flipped 'em around so the slashed sidewalls were no longer visible. A wiser person than I would have passed on buying the car upon seeing that sin. Oh well, my first Porsche purchase wasn't exactly perfect.

No worries about the rear fitment. I don't recall reading or seeing where anyone's had a clearance issue with the 17x9 Cups using a 255/40 tire.

Last edited by KTL; 01-25-2004 at 10:16 AM..
Old 01-25-2004, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)