View Single Post

Fuel System Question

On my race car I currently have motor with stock mechanical fuel injection out of a 72 911. Pictured below is the layout of the system that I am using.

I have an ATL fuel cell with a ATL black box. I am using a Holley “Blue” pump and fuel pressure regulator. I have pressure gauges on the inlet and outlet sides of the mechanical pump located in the front of the car. I know that the mechanical pump requires about 14 PSI delivered to it, so I set the regulator so that the gauge before the mechanical pump reads 16psi and the one after reads 12psi. The regulator is the standard one that comes with the pump. I have the return from the pump go into the normal inlet and blocked one of the exits, the other exit goes right back to the fuel cell. The system seams to work great in this configuration. My problem is that I have destroyed three fuel pumps, two aeromotive and one holley. These motor always fail at the same place, they start spraying fuel out between the motor and the base when the seal fails. The Aeromotive service reps have no suggestions for me and that Holley service reps say that they have never seen a pump fail at that point. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Old 01-26-2004, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)