View Single Post
Somewhere in the Midwest

I love Jack's car and Tyson's and Kevin's work, but I don't think our new friend needs to go that far (not that I wouldn't, if I could).

Start with a 76 or 77 non sun roof car (galvanized and cheap), install a 3.6 and upgrade the brakes and suspension. Larger brakes per Doctor Bill V.'s recommendations and coil overs all around (maybe). Those are mostly bolt in parts and the car should be a beast!

For looks, there are lots of choices, but a back dated 76 or 77 with fiberglass bumpers front and rear (RS or RSR look are both cool...owner's taste) and maybe fiberglass fenders and hood. Rear flares will need to grow, but that not a big deal.

Light nimble and fast! Soon enough you'll be tracking the car...a turbo (with more potential power) may not be a great track car. (let the games begin HP Junkies!)

To answer your questions, the engines that are popular are not from a "crate" program as Chevy has. Most are from donor cars. A new aircooled 3.6 might be available from the fastory ($$$$), but you are better off getting a low mileage engine.

There are some very good builders out there, and you will pay for their services. A lot of guys here build their own engines, but if you are going to transplant, might as well get the Varioram 3.6 engine (see Steve Timmins..Embs..leave it alone).

Best advice...find some local P-car nuts that like to wrench and you will eventually form your own opinion of your dream 911...be careful you don't take everything your new P-car wrenching friends say as gospel..do your research here and in books...Buy Bruce Andersons book (pick and chose the useful info...but BA's books is a good history on aircooled 911 engines), Buy Wayne's Rebuild Book....

Go to a PCA Driver's Ed event (is there on in Iowa?) and get to know the people. Hell, come to the Chicago DE's...we'll send you home running for a helmet and a track worthy car West Des Moine is not that far...from Chicago

Last edited by MotoSook; 01-26-2004 at 09:52 PM..
Old 01-26-2004, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)