View Single Post

Garage
What "hollow" parts are there to a 911 unibody?

I'm in the winter process of doing some rust preventive work to my Carrera, nothing fancy like a rebuild or similar, just spraying Tectyl "ML" and "Bodysafe" on the bodyparts I can reach... I understand these products to offer decent quality protection against rust and that's within the scope of what is intended and that I can handle...
The "ML" product is meant to be sprayed in "hollow" areas. Which I've done: where ever I find a hole, I spray into it...
My question is: what exactly are the hollow parts of a 911 "chassis"? OK, there's the doors, the inner rockers...

Subsidiary question: I've found some small holes on the bottom, some of them are plugged with a rubber plug, others are not.
(What are these holes for? The plugs look original Porsche...)

I've read that these small holes may let puddle-water in, to soak the carpet above, and generally dampen more than just the spirit... A Frenchman reportedly plugged those with custom cut-to-shape old wine cork pieces.. I thought it might be easier to plug them with chewing gum. Any counterindications against the use of chewing gum (this is a serious question, not intended to be a joke!)?? Silicone is another possibility, but that's such a mess to work with!
Old 01-27-2004, 02:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)