View Single Post
Registered

The answer to 993.986's question is largely dependent on personal preference and budget. First question would probably be which body is the most appealing: early 911, 75-77 or 78-89. Then there's the question about the motor and that goes to one budget. There are so many possibilities...

If I had to do it again I would have gone with a 72 or 73 911 as that car comes with the 915 transmission and the wiring would make a swap much easier. I also would have selected a 3.2 with electronic fuel injection. (A 3.6 would be nice, but out of my budget for Porsche related purchases!)

A '73.5 911T with CIS would be a great candidate to drop in a 78-83 3.0 CIS motor...seems like that would be a simple hot rod project.

Seems like a 75-77 with a SC or 3.2 motor swap wouldn't be too complicated.

I like the idea of a 78-83 car with a 3.2 or 3.6 motor and many of these conversions have been done.

Then there's the idea of building a hot rod motor for your car. Sky's the limit there too. What displacement? MFI, carbs or EFI, which compression, which cams, twin plug? etc. etc.

With any used 911 motor you buy you need to be careful and buy from a reputable seller preferably with good test number (compression, leakdown), history and possibly a guarantee. The SC motors are at least 30 years old and the 3.2 motors are just a bit younger.

Or you could just buy a 911 turbo and crank up the boost and be done with it. Nobody will be able to catch you!
Old 01-27-2004, 03:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)