View Single Post

Garage
I didn't take a picture. It wasn't very deep into it though. I downloaded some blow ups of the rack thinking I might tear into the thing but after looking at all the pieces I decided against it. My project is too big already.
There are 2 bolts holding the shaft that runs up through the smugglers box. I removed them and the shaft and the big rubber bushing came off. Under that is a bracket that the two bolts and the bushing mounted to. The bracket is sitting on a splined spindle that may have a slight cone shape to it because when I tightened that nut all the play was gone.
Another little tip. I have always had a little clunk in the steering wheel. After I installed the bump steer I got in the car and started turning the wheel back and forth to make sure everything was clearing with the new rack height. The clunk thing seemed worse so I loosened the bolt that holds the shaft to the U joint in the smug box and pressed the shaft in as far as it would go. Problem solved. I have wondered about that extra 3/8ths inch of height pushing up on the whole mechanism and wondered if it wouldn't change things. I don't think it's mentioned in the 101 projects book. I think Wayne just says to loosen the clamp and raise the rack but the bar running through the dash to the steering wheel doesn't have enough room to move up 3/8ths of an inch and work properly. It's a ***** to tap the shaft into the u joint though. There is no room to woork and it in the back of the trunk. I think that's why mine was messed up to start with. Someone was messing with it and never set it back in far enough. I grabbed the u joint and the clamp with some channel locks and taped the top of the channel locks with a hammer, it slid right in.

Steering Rack "Rebuild" Procedure
#9 in the blow up picture is the nut that I tightened.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)