View Single Post

Nice writeup Loren. It's nice to see some empirical data rather than subjective impressions.

This whole debate calls to mind the paragraph in Bruce Anderson's book where he says that he has been trying to get more power out of Porsche engines for most of his adult life, that the engine is basically an air pump with heat exchange capability, and that performance gains generally result from making the engine a more efficient air pump.

It seems reasonable to me that Porsche left some ignition advance on the table, as your test shows, and that the aftermarket chip takes it one step further. And I think it's axiomatic that increasing total advance reduces the detonation safety margin, just the same as if you turn the distributor too far.

I would be interested to see a test of the '14 control unit. The front windshield seal on my '88 leaked pretty bad, and one morning after a rainstorm, I went to start the car, not realizing that the control unit was submerged in water. I asked my mechanic if he could find me a used control unit for the '88, and his response was, "No, they are nearly impossible to find used, the Club Racers snap them up." This is because our stock class rules prohibit changing the chip. As somebody posted, there's little doubt that you could program a chip to match the settings in the '14 box and realize a performance increase as long as you were willing to use higher octane fuel (nobody uses catalytic converters) but the point of stock class rules is to limit the amount of money we spend, and also probably save some racer from himself if he decides to program in 40 degrees total advance in a misguided effort to take the pole.

I appreciate also the tone of your post, it is in keeping with the spirit of the board.
'66 911 #304065 Irischgruen
Ex-'71 911 PCA C-Stock Club Racer #806 (Sold 5/15/13)
Ex-'88 Carrera (Sold 3/29/02)
Ex-'91 Carrera 2 Cabriolet (Sold 8/20/04)
Ex-'89 944 Turbo S (Sold 8/21/20)
Old 01-28-2004, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)