View Single Post

Guys:

If I may....

Loren has some very valid points to bring forth, and we'd be as guilty as he is, if we continue with this ( ahem) "theme"...

I'm trying to facilitate Loren's views with others such as SteveW's, so let's try to be on our best behaviour...who knows..it might rub off !

I think Loren's views also deal with unsubstantiated claims by *many other* chip manufacturers...and certainly that point is valid. Steve W has decoded a number of competing chips and has highlighted that some go to overly-aggressive advance curves that will *only* work with US grade 93 fuel..something of a rarity on the West coast, I'm told. Can also be a problem if you track the car on "hot" ambient days. So the point has merit. If you ask ( like I did) for Steve to provide a slightly "dialed-back" proposition, to optimize on US 91 Octane ( not 93 octane) fuel, then that would be a degree of additional conservatism that one can choose....as you go "more aggressive" than stock. The chip I ended up with actually is coded much like the "Club Sport" or "Cup" chip that was offered by Porsche in Europe. Oh...and you can go conservative or aggressive on rpm limits, too. I opted for 6720 instead of the 7000+ limits set by many other generic chip manufacturers.

BTW...for our international readers..keep in mind the octane rating system used in North America yields numbers about 4-5 digits lower than comparable gas rating systems used in Europe.

---Wil Ferch
Old 01-28-2004, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)