Thread: 911SC motor
View Single Post

I think the Alusils are a little more silvery than the Mahles. There is a thread on the Engine Rebuild forum that is fascinating to engineers, and engineer wanabees like myself, regarding the method for treating Alusils so they can be reused. I reused mine with good results. Some might assert that Alusils are superior in some ways to Mahle. I hope this starts a fight. I love fights. The greatest wear JW could find on any of my cylinders was .0015". This was at 182K miles!!!!!!

So, I'm going to reiterate my previous advice. If it ain't broken, don't fix it. If you head studs are in one piece, and if your compression and leakdown numbers are good, I'd strongly suggest you button her up and drive with confidence. Unless you're itchin' to spend a bunch of money or install HI PO parts, or both. Even without P&Cs, once the engine is apart you'll succumb to the "while I'm in there" sickness. It'll cost a couple of grand anyway. Unless you replacing nothing but gaskets. And I would not disassemble a motor for that.

Your '83 Engine has 9.3:1 pistons. Porsche did a good job designing this engine. Improvements are both difficult and expensive.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)