View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by rick-l
...how much weight can I hang from trusses made of 2 X 4s? Two car garage, two triangular sections on the outer portions of the truss.
That simple calc outlined above is for a simple beam (two supports, one on each end) and a simple point load, in this case an engine. Similar to what l33t9eek shows in his pic.

It gets more complicated for beams supported at multiple points and for trusses. The truss calc would involve knowing all the parameters such as span, all dimensions, lumber quality, load on the roof, and the angles involved. So, I couldn't tell ya. I'd guess your 2x4 trusses are not sized to carry significant loads beyond those required by code (incl. snow as Cary mentioned).

If hoisting a large load from your rafters for a quick lift, such as transferring an engine to a stand, consider securing a couple temporary 4x4 posts (vertically) close to where the load is, on either side. In other words, shore it up. That's a safe bet. Closer to the wall (vs. center span) is better also.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)