View Single Post

Funny you should say that, because that's exactly how I found my car. I'd looked at lots of ads, and was expecting to pay $3-$4K for a decent car. But I drove by a car parked down town, and when i parked I walked back and stuck a card in the window saying I'd been looking for that particular car, and that if he ever wanted to sell it, please call. In brief, he had just moved to town, lived close to work, and had just that week decided to sell one of the family's two cars.. the bimmer. He gave me a quick rundown of the car's condition, answered a few basic conditions, and then said, basically, "because the car is in pretty good condition, I'm going to ask $1,000 for it" I almost dropped the phone. I said "Okay, I'll buy it". He asked me if I didn't want to look at it first, and I said sure, but unless there was some huge problem I'd be buying the car. But I had to negotiate anyway, so we settled on eight.
I think this guy simply didn't appreciate what he had, and I suspect that that is the case more often with the owners of these older BMW's, in contrast with 911's (which I owned until recently) where everybody knows what they've got and thinks it is worth millions, no matter what.

So..I'd do just what you suggest - if you see one you like, ask them if they'll sell. I bet a pretty good portion of those folks have often thought of selling, and some even figured why bother because the car isn't worth anything. who knows. I think I just got very lucky. But again, I'll let you know in a year if it was really a good deal. So far, on parts for catch up maintenance, I've spend about $1K (Jared can verify this...): coolant hoses, thermostat, all fluids, brake lines, all filters, timing belt (this one had about 90K on it...I practically pushed the car home out of fear it would break), ignition harness, distributor, rotor, plugs, and more that I'm forgetting.
So far, I think I'm still ahead.

I'll probably do some FATT's at Summit Point, and some BMWCCA driver's schools, and look at running a race in '05 if I get my act together and actually get a license.

I'll post pictures soon...

1983 Porsche 911SC
Old 01-28-2004, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)