View Single Post

Chip wars, oh boy...

These threads really have me thinking. As Wil said, going "too agressive" has always been an issue with timing. The thing that troubles me is what Steve Weiner pointed out in several threads-you can't detect detonation reliably by ear on a 911 motor-there's just too much going on-and given that premuff/exhaust mods seem de riguer for 3.2 performance, its even less likely to be detected by an "intelligent" 3.2 owner who has made the complete package of mods that are commonly recomended for added performance. So, shouldn't we all consider this? I agree with Wil that there's no "aha" factor here, but I think there might be some degree of head-in-the-sand about longterm issues. I know mine might have been there on the "lack" of detonation.

With all that said, I have a chip-its not one of Steve's, but I'd like to have him do one for me this Spring-after I'm done bleeding money on other issues. I WILL, as a result of this discussion, have it done very conservatively. One of the main reasons I want one ow is to adjust the fuel shutoff on decel that seems to contribute to the idle bounce issue on aging 3.2's. I will be ultra careful in fuel selection, maybe moreso than in the past. Boy, I miss the knock sensor that my M5 had.

I know Loren's posts set people off, but I'm not sure why. He clearly acknowledged that his earlier tone may have been way too strident, and his recent posts have been merely informative. Knowledge is power, and so long as what is being passed along isn't BS (and I don't think anyone can claim that Loren's data is BS) it can only benefit all.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 01-29-2004, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)