View Single Post

Garage
Now let me address how a fire can start from my own personal experience:

There are soft fuel lines in the vicinity of the fuel filter and accumulator. If one ruptures, the motor will immediately stop as fuel pressure goes to zero. CIS doesn't like that. While you are still coasting, fuel is pouring onto the hot exhaust because early SC's don't have a cutoff for the fuel pump when the motor stops turning. Now flames are pouring out of the engine compartment. If the lid id fiberglass, it will disappear in a hurry. It will not take long for the interior to become engulfed. My car was almost completely stripped out and still had incredible damage in teh interior. The headliner and seats supported combustion quite well and then the dash area becomes engulfed. The glass melts, the steering wheel burns and falls off, the instruments melt and then progress is made toward the fuel tank.

In the rear, the intense heat will ignite the magnesium fan assembly. Water has little effect on the magnesium fire and special chemicals need to be used or you have to wait for it to burn out.

The car can become completely involved very quickly and once the mag takes off, it can take a while to completely extinguish.

Here's what you are left with:

That said, that is one of the worst written newspaper stories I've ever read. There was no research done. The author is a real numb skull.

If the author is trying to suggest that there is insurance fraud being committed, he sure didn't make the case based on the facts presented.
Lothar of the Hill People Gruppe B #33

The Founders would vomit at the sight of the government that the People's lack of vigilance has permitted to take hold.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)