View Single Post

Send a message via AIM to Bruce Huling
at 11,200 rpm (redline) about 150-170. Kinda hard to tell because everything is buzzing, the noise is incredible, and besides your focus is on the track and upcoming turn/braking issues. What is funny is how slow 100 seems after any sustained high speed straight. Another funny is lifting your head out of tuck too early (i.e., over 100 or so) to start to set up for a corner and find out that your helmet makes a nice drag chute.
Also, God forbid you forget to snug your collar or leg zip pouch as at high speeds it doesnt take much to create another mini drag chute. A minor swerve at hose speeds results in instant load to the shorts...

I find high speeds in a car boring, unless:
1) turning!
2) Someone else is driving
3) Trees or something close to enhance perception of relative speed (like an embankment or gaurddrail, or piece of some car on the track)
4) Off road

By the way, I went for a jaunt once with a friend who had a car set up for autocross, down a forest road. I have no idea how fat we were going as I was petrified the entire time. Different strokes for different folks.
bh
Gruppe B #367
1976 911s with 79 euro 3L
1995 Ford Powerstroke F250
1973 CZ400
1980 Maico 440
"If it aint broke, dont fix it"
Old 01-29-2004, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)