View Single Post
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by chibone_914
NEVER run a plug! Tire guys first use a reamer, that tears up the steel belts, then they push the plug into the hole with a plug tool.

The best repair is to use a patch that is applied from the inside the tire. I used to teach shop proceedures at Super Shops back in the day and rope plugs voided any tire manufacturers warranty because of the additional damage done by the reamer.

Patches do hold up, even on Z rated tires. The surface is preped and rubber cement is applied prior to the patch being installed. I've never had a repair fail or ever heard of a patch failing. The only time you cannot patch a tire is when the puncture is on the sidewall of the tire. Then you're pretty much screwed unless you purchased a road-hazard warranty at the time you bought your tires, then the tire gets replaced (up to a certain tread thickness) Beyond that, the tire is prorated and you only pay for the amount of wear on the tire. Better than paying full price for a new one.

Former Michelin/BF Goodrich Factory Certified Technician
If it is from a standard nail, and the hole is nearly invisible (no damage to the steel belts), I agree with the above statement 100%.

I would never plug a tire - ever.

I have run professionally patched tires to 150 mph - and never worried about it.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)