View Single Post

Quote:
Originally posted by john_cramer
Hmm, within the earth's atmosphere is a tricky qualification. The absolute world record for speed in a parachute jump was set by Kittinger in 1960 at 714 MPH. He exited at 102,800 feet (still, technically, the "atmosphere") and exceeded the speed of sound at that altitude....
Quote:
Originally posted by beepbeep
I tought Kittinger went a bit faster than that, jumping off a baloon?

Yes, yes, Joe Kittinger's jump(s) are exactly why I put the "within the Earth's atmosphere" qualification in there. I guess I should have said: "fastest freefall from a propeller-driven aircraft". Or "fastest freefall from an exit altitude of less than 20,000 ft.". The guy who set the 321 mph record (Charles Bryan) did so without the need for a pressure suit or supplemental oxygen either. Anyhow, I can tell you going head-down @ 200+ mph is a WHOLE different ballgame than "normal" terminal velocity skydiving, but 300+ mph must be insane!

Motion-

Yes, it is the best! Nothing quite like going balls-out, head-down with your hair on fire! Oh, and may all your future deployments be soft, and sub-terminal!
Old 01-29-2004, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)