View Single Post

"Are there any front mount kits you or anyone else would recommend?"

Steve,
Not sure how much track time your car will see, but for a part-time track car, installing a cooler in the available space behind an RS front bumper should be fine. I use an Earls cooler and mount and -12 hose; others use a Mocal (Setrab). Mocal sells various kits; otherwise you'll need a mount, some metric-to-AN adapters, AN fittings and hose. This assumes you already have the factory or equivalent R-to-F external lines and thermostat already in place. Cooler space in front is tight but it works, even with minimal/no space for exit air. If it's on the track most of the time, if the ambient temps are high and/or your engine is larger than say 2.7, I would configure the front oil cooler to get maximum air - better to err on the safe side. In addition, the above front cooler may not be the optimum size for your particular set of operating conditions.

For more efficient air flow, some sheet metal work is required, perhaps something similar to Thom Fitzpatrick's (Widebody) or what others have done. This involves cutting out a section of the the front pan and grafting a curved piece of metal behind the cooler for increased exit air. I believe Dave at TRE sells the pre-formed piece. At the same time, this area can be enlarged to accomodate a larger cooler. Depending on the cooler inlet/outlet fittings, the hose(s) (use -16) can even be partially routed through the trunk to protect them.

While you're doing this, you might want to consider installing some through-the-trunk brake ducting using front bumper openings for inlet air. All this will cleanup the underside so there's less stuff to rub off on any off-track excursions.

As for protecting the cooler, some recent threads on front coolers describe various methods of protection with welded tubing/channel.

Hope this helps,
Sherwood
Old 01-30-2004, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)